To Have and Have Not - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• The movie's line "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow" was voted as the #34 movie quote by the American Film Institute (out of 100).

• To Have and Have Not - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• The only film to date (2000) based on a novel by a Nobel Prize-winning author (Ernest Hemingway) to have its screenplay co-written by another Nobel Prize-winning author (William Faulkner).

• Unknown to Lauren Bacall, Howard Hawks had the option to revert to a partial Jules Furthman script which gave some of Bacall's dialogue to another actress should the aspiring actress not work out. It wasn't needed. In fact, shooting continued with Faulkner re-writing scenes to spotlight her character.

• "Lux Radio Theater" broadcast a 60-minute radio adaptation of the movie on October 14, 1946 with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall reprising their film roles.

• Humphrey Bogart pronounced his boat's name as "Queen Conn-ch. The correct pronunciation of the shell fish queen conch is "konk".

• Lauren Bacall writes in her autobiography that it was in the third week of shooting that friendly banter between her and Humphrey Bogart turned to something more. At the end of shooting one day, "...he leaned over, put his hand under my chin, and kissed me. It was impulsive - he was a bit shy - no lunging wolf tactics. He took a worn package of matches out of his pocket and asked me to put my phone number on the back. I did." Bogart was 44 years old and in an unhappy third marriage. The relationship with Bacall was obvious on the set, and while it sparked the onscreen chemistry for his movie, Howard Hawks was furious. He warned Bacall away and threatened that the relationship could damage her career - that she could end up at Monogram Pictures. (By some accounts, Hawks was jealous and had designs on Bacall himself.) Hawks warned that Bogart would drop Betty after filming was completed, but nothing could be further from the truth. Bogart was divorced and married Bacall in 1945. They made three more films together and remained married until Bogart's death from cancer in January, 1957.

• The movie's line "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow" was voted as the #77 of "The 100 Greatest Movie Lines" by Premiere in 2007.

• Howard Hawks had bet Ernest Hemingway that he (Hawks) could make a good film even out of Hemingway's worst novel. Hawks chose "To Have..." and proceeded to win the bet by deleting most of the story, including the class references that had justified the book title, and shifting to an earlier point in the lives of the lead characters.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb